Saturday, September 3, 2011

Why do you come to Cambodia?

why do you come to Cambodia?

That’s one of the most popular questions the girls like to ask me (we’re currently working on the past tense). I still haven’t been able to come up with a good answer to give them and that’s because I don’t really know why I came to Cambodia. It’s been six months since I boarded a plane headed for a country that only sounded vaguely familiar a year before that. I didn’t choose my location – the only decision I really made regarding this year was that I was going to the missions for a year. The first time I heard about the mission in Cambodia was at a future volunteer information session. My first question was, “Where’s that?” After getting an idea of the different sites, I remember going home and saying that I wanted to be completely open with whatever site was offered to me… but, given that I hadn’t even known what continent it was on, Cambodia was not really calling me. It just seemed like a whole other world that I would never be able to adapt to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment